Senior / Lead Engineer
Crate Entertainment is looking for an experienced and self-driven senior or lead engineer to help bring our next games to life. We currently have multiple projects in the works using both commercial and proprietary engines. Crate is a small but financially independent studio with no need for publishers or investors. We have no fixed release dates, no meetings and no one on the team who isn’t involved in actually building games. Our culture is casual and no-BS but we also pride ourselves in efficiency and working hard. Crate has no physical office and has always operated on a remote, work-from-home model.
Given the nature of Crate as a smaller developer, any candidate for this position must have a broad knowledge and ability to tackle whatever challenges arise. Candidates must also have a deep understanding, as a player, of games and gameplay mechanics that they can draw upon to fill in the blanks where needed, in creating first-pass implementations of gameplay features and mechanics without always needed explicit, low-level design specification.
- Architect and implement needed components of the games from rendering and engine features to gameplay systems, tools, etc.
- Communicate with team members to help determine the best solutions for challenging aspects of development.
- Work with designers and artists to rapidly iterate and refine systems and features.
- Write clean, performant, easily maintainable code.
- 5+ years relevant work experience.
- At least one credit in senior or lead position on a released PC / Console game.
- Advanced knowledge of C++.
- Self-directed, with an ability and initiative to assess your own work and continue to improve it and bring it up to an exceptional level of quality and functionality.
- Strong understanding of rendering techniques, rendering APIs, multi-threading and hardware.
- Solid analytical and math skills, including proficiency with trigonometry and algebra.
- Experience architecting and implementing game systems, pathfinding, animation, networking and work on client/server architectures.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with team members and potentially handle working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be living in or willing to relocate to MA, NH, CA, or FL (due to payroll and tax logistics). Crate can assist with relocation costs.
- Love for RPG and Strategy games.
- Experienced RTS player.
- Previous engineering leadership experience.
- Experience developing with Unreal.
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter, including a brief summary of your favorite games and what you’re currently playing to: [email protected]