Senior / Lead Engineer
Crate Entertainment is looking for an experienced and self-driven senior or lead engineer to help bring our next games to life. Crate is best known for developing and self-publishing the ARPG “Grim Dawn,” which has sold over 2.5m copies on PC, over 5m including DLC. Because of this success, our studio is completely financially and creatively independent, without reliance on publishers or investors. We work hard but do not have fixed milestones or release dates that we must crunch to meet.
Candidates must be strongly self-motivated and have a breadth of knowledge that will allow them to take on different technical challenges that arise on a small team. You must also have enough gaming experience to fill in the blanks, when needed, to create first-pass implementations of gameplay features and mechanics without always requiring explicit specifications.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Our studio operates remotely but candidates must be based in the US.
- Architect and implement needed components of the games from rendering and engine features to gameplay systems, tools, etc.
- Communicate with team members to help determine the best solutions for challenging aspects of development.
- Work with designers and artists to rapidly iterate and refine systems and features.
- Write clean, performant, easily maintainable code.
- 6+ years relevant work experience.
- At least one credit in senior or lead position on a released PC / Console game.
- Advanced knowledge of C++.
- Self-directed, with an ability and initiative to assess your own work and continue to improve it and bring it up to an exceptional level of quality and functionality.
- Strong understanding of rendering techniques, rendering APIs, multi-threading and hardware.
- Solid analytical and math skills, including proficiency with trigonometry and algebra.
- Experience architecting and implementing game systems, pathfinding, animation, networking and work on client/server architectures.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with team members and potentially handle working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be living in or willing to relocate to MA, NH, CA, or FL (due to payroll and tax logistics). Crate can assist with relocation costs.
- Love for RPG and Strategy games.
- Experienced RTS player (please include your SC2 or AoE2 ranking).
- Diamond hands and willingness to yolo meme stocks a plus.
- Previous engineering leadership experience.
- Experience developing with Unreal.
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter, including a brief summary of your favorite games and what you’re currently playing to: [email protected]