Lead 3D Character Artist
Crate Entertainment is seeking an experienced and creatively-driven artist to take a leadership role in defining the look of and modeling characters for our fantasy RTS project that is early in development.
We’re looking for someone who can not only produce stunning, cleanly designed models but who also has creative vision and character design ideas to contribute. You don’t need to be a master of everything but, as a member of a small team, you should be willing and able to work in at least a couple different areas, be it occasionally taking on a bit of environmental work, equipment, etc.
We are looking for someone with lead/principal artistic and technical ability but this is purely an artistic leadership position, not a management position as our artists are all 10+ year, self-directed veterans and we are looking for you to be the same.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Our studio operates remotely but candidates must be based in the US.
Crate is a small, indie studio best known for developing and self-publishing the ARPG “Grim Dawn,” which has sold over 3 million copies on PC with 4 million units of DLC. Our latest title, the town-builder, Farthest Frontier, has sold over half a million copies in it’s first two months of early access.
Due to this success, our studio is well-funded, completely financially and creatively independent and not answerable to any sort of investors or publishers. Because of this, we can offer greater job security and a lower stress work environment than most larger developers. We are not beholden to milestone deliverables, own all of the IP we create and believe that as long as we’re working efficiently, the game will be done in however long it takes for us to feel satisfied that it’s ready. By working in smaller teams, we are able to develop big games on a smaller budget and at a slower pace that allows time to add more detail and nuance than often exists in many bigger budget titles.
- Bring creatures and characters through the entire production process, working with designers to define their form and function in rough concepts, them modeling, texturing and iterating as needed.
- Contribute to the creation of general 3D art assets on various projects as needed.
- Create assets in accordance with the defined style and performance specifications of the project.
- Learn the latest tools and technology. Self-critique and ability to seek out and receive feedback for continued self-improvement.
- 3+ years industry experience with at least one credit on a released PC / Console game.
- Exceptional ability to create high-quality character art in a semi-realistic style.
- Highly proficient with 3D Studio Max and /or Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter, Photoshop.
- Ability to produce clean, crisp, highly readable textures.
- Self-driven, able to take critique and a team-player.
- Experience playing and/or working on RTS or MOBA, with an understanding of the special considerations involved in creating characters for those genres.
- Ability to produce rough 2d concepts of sufficient quality to communicate character design ideas to designers prior to modelling.
- Love for RPG and Strategy games.
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter, including a brief summary of your favorite games and what you’re currently playing to: [email protected]